At SEPAC, we design, engineer, and manufacture motion control products for various industries and applications. One of our standard product offerings is spring engaged brakes, which feature a power-off design that enables them to stay engaged when power is not applied.
How Do Spring Engaged Power-Off Brakes Work?
Our spring engaged power-off brakes feature a fixed electromagnet assembly and a freely rotating, shaft-mounted friction disc assembly. When the coil is de-energized (i.e., no power is applied), the rotating components engage, which stops and/holds the load. When the coil is energized (i.e., power is applied), the components disengage, which allows the shaft to rotate freely.
Key Operating Features of Spring Engaged Power-Off Brakes
Some of the unique operating features of our spring engaged brakes include:
- They offer on/off operation that is not variable with voltage.
- They will not re-engage at higher voltages and can operate at lower voltages once the brake is released at full voltage (e.g., in most cases, a 24 VDC brake requires approximately 6–7 VDC to remain released).
- They can withstand broader temperature and voltage swings.
- They allow for easy manual release if needed.
- They can be modified with anti-corrosive coatings to make them suitable for use in outdoor environments.
- They fail closed at end of life (i.e., torque applied).
- They are simple to mount with simple mounting requirements (i.e., a “floating” hub).
- They provide consistent torque.
Spring Engaged Brake Models by SEPAC
We offer a range of standard spring engaged brakes to suit different customer needs, including:
- Tooth Brake — SETB Series: This stationary field spring engaged tooth brake can provide static torque ranging from 20 to 2,600 lbs. per foot. It is designed for operation dry or in oil and piloting on the outside diameter or the magnet body bore.
- Friction Disc — SEB Series: This spring engaged brake can provide static torque ranging from 0.08 to 4,330 lbs. per foot. It has an electromagnetic release mechanism and can be used dry or in oil, depending on the type of friction material utilized.
- Thin Spring — TSEB Series: This low-cost spring engaged brake can provide static torque ranging from 20 to 2,600 lbs. per foot. It has a thinner profile than normal spring engaged brakes, making it ideal for applications that require a good torque-to-size ratio.
- Ultra-Thin Spring — UTSEB Series: This spring engaged brake offers the thinnest profile available. It can provide static torque ranging from 0.53 to 28.32 lbs. per foot.
- Manual Release — MSEB Series: This spring engaged brake features a manual release lever that allows operators to override the brake when there is no power. It offers easy mounting requirements for dry operation and provides static torque ranging from 2.95 to 354 lbs. per foot.
Modified designs and customized assemblies are also available.
Partner With SEPAC for Your Spring Engaged Brake Needs Today
Looking for electromagnetic brakes you can trust in your critical equipment and applications? The experts at SEPAC have got you covered! We offer a broad selection of standard products and a range of customization and modification capabilities, which allow us to provide solutions for nearly any customer’s motion control needs. To learn more about our spring engaged brakes, check out this product page or submit a request for more information.